1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No one plays FPS's the way they used to be says Bungie.

Discussion in 'First Person Shooter' started by Honso, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Honso

Honso Editorial Team

Once again a developer has said something laughably stupid. Now I think Bungie is great and am looking forward to Destiny, but come on. How many gamers out there spend tons of money on mechanical keyboards and a laser gaming mice. These kind of quotes do not make me angry. Actually I find them funny.

Quote from the article:
    “We made the game run without a mouse and keyboard. And now nobody plays shooters the way they used to play them before Halo ’cause nobody wants to.”

http://www.gamefront.com/destiny-not-for-pc-cause-no-one-plays-with-mouse-and-keyboard-bungie/

And once again I get to use my favorite Bender quote:
    bungie Destiny
  2. Devil Mingy

Devil Mingy Supreme Member

Wow. I've been playing System Shock 2 all wrong, then.

Why is it so hard for developers to just say "we don't have a PC port because we don't want to"?
  3. Lionboy

Lionboy Elite Member

Well, he's simply wrong on this one. I'm having a blast in PlanetSide 2 at the moment. Not that it wouldn't be possible with a controller but it certainly creates a more fast paced metagame.

-edit- This is not me saying one peripheral is superior to the other.
  4. Buu

Buu Supreme Member

Oh noes, not another "no one does something" declaration. Not even ZYNGA fall for that.
  5. Billy MacKinnon

Billy MacKinnon Elite Member

Well he is right, from a certain point of view. I mean if a game is only released on a console no ones going to be using mouse and keyboard.
    I imagine he only deals with a culture of consoles, rather then dealing with PC users.
  6. Devil Mingy

It's Jason Jones, he should know better.

Of course, he is a tad eccentric with a tendency to not think things through (I believe Paul Russel once compared him to a crack addict in terms of sound business decisions).
    Cal'ahn likes this.
  7. Astralify

Astralify Supreme Member

This is the single most dumbest and ridiculous thing I have ever heard a developer say. Why can he just say "we are too damn lazy to port it properly for the PC"? I'm tired of bullshit like this...
    NightfallRob likes this.
  8. Trexasle

Trexasle Elite Member

Welp...Guess I don't need these anymore

*Throws Keyboard and Mouse in the trash*
  9. Noelemahc

Noelemahc Managing Editor Staff Member HTL Champion

Oh dear, is that the way to convince people to buy the next Ecks-Bocks? Now I'm even more certain NOT TO.

EDIT: I propose a twitter rally, naturally, if there isn't one already. Judging by the comments at the original interview source, there probably is one.

EDIT2: Couldn't find Mr. Jones's own twitter, so twittered at Bungie's official one. Will report if I get a reply.
    Volion likes this.
  10. Applepie_svk

Applepie_svk Elite Member

I would say that at least few millions of players from Eastern Europe using mouse and keyboard because we are still PC users because consoles and games for these great consoles are highly overpriced even after year since the release and we are looking on PC/noteboks as more practical than just gaming tools.
  11. Noelemahc

For fairness sake, this seems to be the case of "left hand doesn't know what the right is doing", as...

Source: http://www.examiner.com/article/des...60-ps3-currently-720-ps4-pc-details-to-follow

Looks like someone's getting a whupping in the coming week, the only question is which one?
  12. FOXHOUND

FOXHOUND Elite Member

I still do with Fallout NV on me desktop, only becuase that it cant take my Xbox controller.
  13. bahama

bahama Member

I prefer playing on PC with keyboard and mouse. Sometimes i also play on Xbox, but i'm just used to PC.
  14. Buu

Buu Supreme Member

Sony did assume they are lazy to port DC Universe Online properly and the game still good.
  15. Vorodill

Vorodill Elite Member

A Counter-Strike player on console? Yeah, right... :sneaky:

Let him fight a mouse-keyboard player on PC. Here's some popcorn.
  16. EagleScout

EagleScout Supreme Member HTL Guardian

I hate playing shooters with a keyboard and mouse and even I know you'd have to be stupid to make a comment like this.
  17. Belsnickle

Belsnickle Super Moderator Staff Member

Well, probably that and a reflection of the lack of success they've had on the later halo ports to pc. Halo CE did wellish on PC but was right around when games like Call of Duty and Battlefield were starting to get console ports.

My understanding is Halo 2 didn't, and unfortunately that was in the age that Call of Duty and Battlefield had "evolved" past being primarily PC and games like Counter Strike and Doom no longer dominated the PC gaming landscape. Right now it's a dreadful place for much other than Strategy and Role Playing, in part because developers that focused shooters there have found better success on Xbox and Playstation.

Well that and Bungie started as a Mac company, then a PC company, then an Xbox company, and now a Multi-channel company. The whole purported goal here was to open up development options beyond a single console. While it is realistic that the era of PC shooters has passed that doesn't necessarily need to mean anything beyond it not being the priority.
  18. Devil Mingy

^ It didn't help that the PC port of Halo 2 was complete rubbish.
  19. Noelemahc

That wasn't the reason why Halo fared so badly on PC. Not the main one, anyway. Halo CE came out when Halo 2 came out on the Box. Halo 2 came out on the box shortly before Halo 3 on the next Box. Halo CE was ported by Microsoft's own code monkeys which generally work on the principle of "out of sight, out of mind" (that said, they did do a decent job with MGS PC precisely for that reason, making it the best version of the game to have on any console short of the PS3 PSN version). Halo 2 was ported by I don't even know who. Halo 2 was MURDERED in sales by requiring Vista, being the flagship for (still horribly coded) GfWL, not actually using anything it needed Vista for, practically making the game scream "PIRATE ME" at the top of its lungs. And that's before we get into the shitty optimization, low-resolution textures and not being fully adapted to mouse-and-keys controls (it was hella hard to convince the game to stop displaying hotkey prompts in Xboxese, for example).

Every possible decision that could've boosted the piracy rate for it was done in the very very specific way that made it more piratable. And yet, somehow, it's the conservative nature of the PC market to blame. Hah.

There's a reason Halo Custom Edition is so popular while Halo 2's servers are in the process of being shut down. Why Halo Custom Edition now has graphics mods that make it comparable to Halo 4 while Halo 2 PC didn't get any texture mods at all. Because THAT one was made with the PC player in mind and fully adapted to our needs and wants.
  20. Belsnickle

Belsnickle Super Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I didn't even want to get into the whole Games for Windows early days nonsense. . .