1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fonts used by Mass Effect series, for those interested

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Lil One, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Lil One

Lil One Ultra Member

For those interested I [believe I] have identified the fonts used by Mass Effect -- yes, I am a font nut too, among other kind of nuts! :p

No guarantees that these are 100% correct -- must leave room for speculations!
    [​IMG]

Main title
    Slider
    [​IMG]
    Available for free online, for example fonts101.com or Deviant Art
    Dates back to 1994 or something I read somewhere. Similar but not identical to a commercial font, Handel Gothic, which most likely is the actual font used for the title. Slider works well for recreating the title.
    Also note that N7 logo does not use this font, but the Korataki font below.

In-game titles
    Korataki Regular
    [​IMG]
    Available from various sources, such as myfonts.com, $30 (USD) Note: Price for Regular only, not whole font family
    From 2006 by Ray Larabie.

Free preview version of font available here. Thanks go to renownedshoplifter for this information.

Dialogue and other text
    Myriad Pro Regular
    [​IMG]
    Available from Adobe, $35 (USD) Note: Price for Regular only, not whole font family
    Dates from 2000, Apple's own standard font since 2002. Also comes with some of Apple's programs.

Museo Sans 500 works as a free alternative.
    [​IMG]
    This version is available for free, scroll down and look for fonts costing $0 in the list.

A couple of handy sites to help identifying fonts:
    Helps to narrow things down if nothing else!
    Identifont -- answer questions regarding style of characters, quite educational and fun, at least for me.
    WhatTheFont -- upload image of font, help identify characters.
    :
    Hailey, Volion and Squiggly Sheep like this.
  2. Squiggly Sheep

Squiggly Sheep Supreme Member

I actually had a thought that it looks like Slider, and I had that font and a bunch of others before my PC had to be fixed due to a nasty virus last year. I need to download more fonts again...lol
    Lil One likes this.
  3. koobarex

koobarex Elite Member

Ha, somehow I always assumed that everything in ME was done with Slider, this is a great find. Thank you. :)
  4. Lil One

Lil One Ultra Member

You're welcome. Happy I could help. I could see it was different fonts but I wanted to find out what, so I did a quick search and found those sites. Fonts may be somewhere in the files for all I know, but I am not that good at such things, so this worked well for me. :)

I can be a bit of a nut at times. :oops:

Reason I say "Slider is probably not the one used" are minute differences between spacing and such, but it is dang close. :D
  5. renownedshoplifter

renownedshoplifter Elite Member

Thanks for these. I'm sure they'll come in handy.

If anyone wants the Korataki font you can get it for free here.
  6. Lil One

Lil One Ultra Member

Ta, I will add that to the first post. :)
  7. Noelemahc

Noelemahc Le Unfun Terrible Staff Member HTL Champion

The games' main title (the actual MASS EFFECT logo) can be made with the font aptly titled Biomass which can be extricated from any of the official iPhone/iPad apps. I can put it up somewhere if you want it to. It's a TTF with all conceivable international symbols included, even Russian (which is a rare thing).

The game's subtitles and dialogue options are, weirdly enough, not that different from Helvetica, as I've learned when preparing illustrations for my headcanon ending thread (link in sig).
  8. Lil One

Lil One Ultra Member

Sure, alternatives to Slider are welcome. (y)

Yes, not that different, but different enough to not match all letters. But it is available free online so it will do as a replacement for one and all. :)
  9. Noelemahc

Here you go, attached to post. Since it's an official font, I think it could be of use =)

Attached Files:

10. Lil One

Lil One Ultra Member

Ah, Biomass is actually nearly identical to Korataki, not Slider (mostly Biomass is slightly thicker, overall, not just a bold Korataki). Used for the N7 logo and the in-game titles (such as in the CC screen etc), whereas Slider is the actual main title (and only there). :)

Still, useful with alternatives! (y)
  11. Saphyria

Saphyria Elite Member

I believe this will come in very handy with our current initiative, thank you very much!! :)
  12. Saphyria

Saphyria Elite Member

Sorry to poke at you, but no matter how much I stare I cant decide for sure, is the last font here the one I should use if trying to create an email? (like the mail recieved on the normandy)

Thankyou!! :D
  13. Lil One

Lil One Ultra Member

Myriad Pro if you have it, if not Museo Sans comes close-ish (scroll down to two fonts costing $0). It is also a bit wider but if you know how to adjust kerning you can get it close, and if not, it's good enough anyway.
  14. Saphyria

Saphyria Elite Member

Thankyou, again! you're awesome!
  15. htl_mordin

htl_mordin Elite Member

Sorry for necroposting, but none of the listed fonts match the font used in Mass Effect 1 dialogs.
  16. Noelemahc

Helvetica doesn't tickle your fancy? I can probably rip the actual font, but getting pictures into TTFs is always a horrible horrible process.
  17. htl_mordin

htl_mordin Elite Member

Nope, Helvetica is not that font either. I need exact font used in ME1, I need it to train OCR engine to do OCR of in-game screenshots (don't ask why :))

I don't need TTF, just simple pictures are more than enough - if you're going to join them together into one texture/image, add enough spacing.
  18. Noelemahc

I'll look into it. Next thing you're gonna tell me, ME1 and ME2 use different fonts for subtitles and dialogue options?
  19. htl_mordin

htl_mordin Elite Member

20. Noelemahc

Well, I have not-that-reliable eyesight that's degrading rather swiftly, so my fault there. I take it you're building a localization, maybe even a full-scale voicey one? (Why else would you need the ids of the lines visible in context? Hence the OCR too, I presume?)