1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you believe in the Indoctrination Theory

Discussion in 'Role Playing Games' started by Evil Chris Priestly, May 22, 2012.

?

Do you believe that Shepard was "indoctinated" during Mass Effect 3 (the IT theory)?

1. Yes

847 vote(s)
    79.5%
  2. No

219 vote(s)
    20.5%
  1. Spite Engine

Spite Engine Elite Member

Yes.

1.) I currently believe in Indoctrination Theory because it's the only thing that even slightly makes sense.

2.) I actually like it, and would enjoy it if the ending came after some post-decision gameplay and properly reflected your choices.

3.) I really believe that Indoctrination Theory is also the fastest way to fix the ending, because anything else requires getting rid of that goddamn StarChild, A/B/C choice, and Shepard making decisions for the entire galaxy without his comrades and/or love interest around to say "Wait a minute."
  2. SubtleAmbition

SubtleAmbition Elite Member

I voted yes because in all honestly I see IT as the only way to salvage this fiasco. The arguments for it are compelling.
  3. davidb367

davidb367 Elite Member

No.

I think that Shepard was not being indoctrinated. I believe he was just in shock from the blast on the way to the beam.
  4. SpiritTM

SpiritTM Elite Member

Верю в теорию.
    Данная концовка, не вписывается в сюжет серии, по крайней мере, как ее обыгрывают игровые персонажи.
    Xellith and Alex Lorenzen like this.
  5. EnkindledHanar

EnkindledHanar Elite Member

Google translate to the rescue!
    "I believe in the theory.
    This ending does not fit into the storyline of the series, at least"
    the last bit didn't make sense in English
  6. Evolution13

Evolution13 Elite Member

If it's true that Shepard was going to be indoctrinated via a game mechanic in an earlier version of ME3, then at the very least the IT'ers have uncovered remnants of it in the game.

I really want to believe the IT, for me the most convincing evidence is the repeated hallucinations of the child throughout the game, the dreams with "oily shadows" and whispers, and the dreamlike quality of everything that happens after Shepard is hit with the Reaper beam.

If it was Bioware's intent to have Shepard indoctrinated, what better way than with subtle clues and hints throughout the game instead of a coded mechanic that would make it obvious, that's not how indoctrination works!

Anyway, as it stands now, *none* of the three endings were satisfying for me, it makes me feel like everything I did over all three games ultimately meant nothing. Alot of people feel this way and that's why we're clinging to the IT as a last hope. whether the EC supports the IT or not. the #1 thing it needs to accomplish is to make the players feel like what they did mattered!
  7. ME389

ME389 Elite Member

I agree that the incomplete game doesn't matter if they were to release the "real ending" at a later date free of charge. In and of itself it would be brilliant. The ironic thing is Mass Effect 3 has generated more attention with the bad ending then it would have otherwise and the truth is there is no such thing as bad press, assuming you can turn that bad press into some form of good press. If one was to get bad press for the sake of getting bad press then eventually people would loose interest.

If this really is an experiment then it would most certainly go down as one of the most ambitious experiments in all of entertainment, not just video games.

However I'm of the belief that while the theory is intriguing and I would love to see it fully executed, it just doesn't seem at all likely to see the light of day.
  8. mark1

mark1 Elite Member

No.
    I can appreciate fan ingenuity, but this theory is not supported by overall story. When did this indoctrination start? Under what circumstances? Who else is indoctrinated?
    Current ending, on the other hand, tied to the story arc and feels like a fitting conclusion for the trilogy.
    Some additional closure would be nice, though - it is a little incomplete..
  9. Metal Rain

Metal Rain Elite Member

I honestly want IT to be real, but i just want a good ending to my favorite series.
  10. Glenn Seager

Glenn Seager Elite Member

No. Because the Prothean VI that tells you about the Crucible detects those who are indoctrinated and shuts down. Shepard spoke to it several times meaning he is not indoctrinated. The IT is giving Mac Walters too much credit. The end of the game was so lazily done that people started inventing reasons why the ending didn't actually happen.
    Buru Wanda likes this.
  11. Lionboy

Lionboy Supreme Member

I think there's plenty of support for the indoctrination theory.
    To quote Letjemari's google document:

Here's the source if anyone of you have missed it. It's pretty popular so I don't think many have, but just in case:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/...0H84DlCTUmzQ_uQh1voTUs/preview?pli=1&sle=true
  12. Slav Ketsman

Slav Ketsman Elite Member

I said "yes" but I guess my real answer would be "I'd like to believe". It's hard to answer a question like that with a simple "Yes" or "No".
  13. Михаил Никитин

Михаил Никитин Elite Member

It is a very intresting theory. But no, I do not belive in it.
  14. ASC

ASC Supreme Member

If the ending won't be retconned I see it as the best possible way to get a better ending.

I don't belive it was planned, but because it's very plausible I would have absolutely no problem with the IT if it was implemented into the Extended Cut.
    Soooooo yes.
  15. Alex CE.

Alex CE. Elite Member

I don't see how the ending is tied in any way to the series. It introduces a completely new plot device, character and theme in what is supposed to be the last part of the narrative. You think the IT raises questions? The ending we have has more nonsense and plot holes than that. Why did a ghost build massive killing machines? How? What resources? Those are 3 in a thousand questions I have as of right now.
  16. Celia

Celia Supreme Member

I can't say that I hated the endings, I was DISAPPOINTED but I wasn't thrown into a rage like everyone else. All I could think was 'how could I have grossly overestimated Bioware'? (then I read about the leaks, time budget, etc and am still in the process of hating EA)
    When the Indoc theory was first introduced to me by AngeryJoe, it all made sense. Therefore I am hoping that it is true. I'm not sure I would have delved back into ME3 with new playthroughs otherwise.
    So allow me to say if the 'extended dlc' does not deliver the indoc theory, I will be gravely disappointed again but I will download it if its free. The fact remains that this is still a franchise dear to me even if the story-line is botched beyond repair.
    lakdav and Xellith like this.
  17. Conny

Conny Elite Member

Do I believe that IT is what Bioware had in mind when they wrote the ending? No.
    But I do believe that it makes more sense than the ending as it stands and I would be hapy to see at least elements of it included in the Extended Cut.
    Chris and Kenneth Shepard like this.
  18. DannyDarko

DannyDarko Elite Member

Wow, this poll is almost unanimously in favor of IT, regardless of whether people believe it was there intention or that it's there last saving grace at fixing the major inconsistencies of the literal ending this is clearly sending a very strong message.
    Irbis and rojo19 like this.
  19. rojo19

rojo19 Elite Member

I really hope it's true. I was pretty sad when I finished ME3. Commander Shepard ending his adventures alone? Dying alone? Struggling to survive ALONE? Any of his friends would give his life for him, but they left him and forgot about him... That hurts a lot. I'm not angry with the endings, I'm not disappointed, I'm just sad, very very sad. That's not the way Shepard should end. Even if he dies, he should die among his friends, not alone between the rubble.
  20. Kenneth Shepard

Kenneth Shepard Elite Member

I still belive in Bioware, and i also belive that you were out of time. So you ended the game like that to be able to take your time to make the best ending ever. So i vote YES for IT:)